School Readiness Express (SRE) is an Activity Book for preschool teachers designed by Kids Incorporated, based on children's literature and separated into four "seasons" - Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter. Each season contains 12 weeks of activities based on individual children's books. The activities have been designed to meet the Florida School Readiness Performance Standards and are coded to show the relative Performance Standard each activity addresses.
School Readiness Express is designed to enhance preschool programs and help prepare children for school. SRE is based on children's literature and the development of language and pre-reading skills. SRE is based on research which indicates the level of success a child attains in school and later in life is equivalent to the level at which the child progresses in reading and writing. The quality and frequency of the experiences children are exposed to greatly increase the understanding and skills necessary for reading success. The goal is to expose children to diverse experiences regarding concepts in pre-reading skills, language and literature. The activities are intended to promote beginning reading skills, along with other areas as identified in the School Readiness Performance Standards.
- physical health
- approaches to learning
- social & emotional development
- language & literacy
- cognitive development
- motor development
Contents and Itineraries:
You do not need to use the specific books referenced in SRE. For example, if your program doesn't have Barnyard Banter by Denise Fleming, another book about farm animals may be used in its place. The book is a starting off point; the activities encompass the theme associated with each book.
- Barnyard Banter by Denise Fleming
- Vegetable Soup by Lois Ehlert
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin, John Archambault & Lois Ehlert
- Daisy and the Egg by Jane Simmons
- Jump, Frog, Jump by Robert Kalan
- A Letter to Amy by Exra Jack Keats
- PArk Bench by Fumika Takeshita & Mamoru Suzuki
- Lunch by Denise Fleming
- Is Your Mama a Llama by Deborah Guarino & Steven Kellogg
- The Napping House by Audrey & Don Wood
- Spider on the Floor by Raffi
- The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe STrawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Audrey & Don Wood
School Readiness Express is $200 per copy plus shipping. Discounts are available for quantities of ten or more per order. Inquire at
. See below for a sample activity based on the book, Barnyard Banter.